This procedure is not funded on cosmetic grounds alone. The surgical treatment of Meibomian cysts or Chalazia will only be funded if:
OR one or more of the following symptoms are demonstrated
- The cyst has persisted for 12 months or longer
- Presence of infection which is resistant to treatment
- There is sebaceous dysfunction
- The cyst impedes vision as evidenced by reduced acuity (due to astigmatism) or visual field tests if causing a lid droop, or causing amblyopia in a child.
- Patient is suffering severe pain and discomfort
For patients not meeting the above criteria, an application should be made to the IFR Panel if the referrer considers there are clinically exceptional circumstances.
|Latest change to document
||8 February 2018
||22 May 2018
|Next Review date